The first White Cane ordinance passed in December of 1930 in Peoria, Illinois. The ordinance gave blind pedestrians protection and the right-of-way while carrying a white cane. At the 1931 convention held in Toronto, Lions Clubs International promoted the white cane as a protective device for the blind. In 1937, Donald Shuur, a Detroit area Lion, sent a proposal to the Michigan Legislature, making the white cane a symbol to protect blind persons in Michigan. It was signed into law by Governor Frank Murphy in March 1937.
Since that time, Governors of Michigan continue to proclaim the last weekend in April through the first weekend in May as White Cane Week. During that week, Lions all over Michigan sell White Cane pins throughout their communities. All money raised allows the Washington Lions Club to provide goods and services to disabled individuals, young people, civic organizations, and others in the community with needs. Look for Washington Lions Club members at local shopping centers and street corners with White Cane buckets in hand.